Voluntary sequestration is an application that is done to the High Court to surrender your estate (assets and liabilities) to creditors in the hands of the Master of the High Court and be declared insolvent/bankrupt. The Master will then appoint a Trustee, whom must realise your assets according to the Insolvency Laws of South Africa and distribute the proceeds to creditors after the administrative costs have been paid.
BECOME DEBT FREE TODAY
When your liabilities exceed your assets, you are insolvent. The remedy is to apply for a sequestration order. The effect of such a sequestration order is that creditors must claim from the insolvent estate and that they cannot claim from you anymore.
There are about 12 options in the South African Law if you have debt
FACTORS THAT NEED TO BE CONSIDERED
WHICH OPTION IS RIGHT FOR ME
When you have debt, there are a few options to consider. If you cannot pay your debt, Sequestration is usually the only option available.
I HAVE TRIED
- to extend payment arrangements
- Sell assets and tried to pay creditors
- to increase my income / or get alternative work
- extend all available credit facilities available
- Borrowed from family and friends to pay creditors
- Considered debt counselling
SHOULD I GO UNDER DEBT COUNSELLING?
Only if you have a very temporary problem!
Debt counselling is a mechanism created by the national credit act. The idea was to try and help the South African consumer and to offer creditors a reduced monthly installment. This new arrangement would then be made an order of court.
That sounds fine. What’s wrong with debt counselling?
WHEN YOU CAN’T PAY CREDITORS
Sequestration is an application made to the high court in terms of which your debt is legally written off. The creditors must claim from the separate insolvent estate. There are effects that last until the day of your rehabilitation. Upon rehabilitation, it is regarded that your debts have been settled.
EFFECTS OF SEQUESTRATION
- Certain assets are realized
- Will be listed on credit bureau’s
- Excluded from certain professions
- Not credit worthy during sequestration
- Debt Written Off
- Creditors legal actions are stayed
- You can sleep easy at night
- You can start living again